Home Forums General Discussion WordPress 3.5 Issues

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Richard 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Finding that many users (self included) finding upgrade to 3.5 not going as smoothly as it has done with recent releases.

Issues are generally not theme related.

Upgrading can render dashboard inaccessible if you have certain plugins installed. Server error page shows instead (front end white screen of death)

There are a number of changes in 3.5 that plugins need to be updated for. Our advice:

1. Always take a full backup and be prepared to have to use it.
    2. Make sure all plugins are up to date before upgrade.
    3. Better still deactivate all plugins before you upgrade, especially cache ones before upgrade.
    4. Be prepared to roll back to 3.4.2 (as I have had to do on at least one site for now). Using svn or git to manage your install makes this very easy indeed!

As I said unlikely the issues are theme related, but early days so do report anything you find when using our themes. Because we will fix it!

Richard
    Participant

Hi there,

Any updates about this concern? I have still not deployed the upgrade until things seem more stable.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Most problems are plugin related. Best approach is to disable all plugins before upgrade, but be prepared to roll back with a good backup.

Some sites have upgraded without issue but I still have a couple that have had to roll back.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks – I have decided to wait until all of the plug-ins have been verfied to work on 3.5. think that’s a useful strategy?

Serg Barreto
    Participant

I’m using Xi, upgraded to 3.5 a couple of days ago and just published my first photo gallery since. The images are tiny and the gallery just looks terrible. Is anyone else having this problem? (I’m talking about the images on the gallery page – the images themselves look fine once you click on them – if you can click on them because they’re that small…)

Richard
    Participant

I personally have yet to upgrade until all of my plugins are compatible. As well, I am using NextGen Gallery for photos. Have you tried using the default theme to see if it is Xi specific?

Serg Barreto
    Participant

Found out what was causing the gallery problem: for some reason my default thumbnails size was changed after the 3.5 upgrade from 200 x 150 to 50 x 50. Once I fixed that the gallery looked the way it should.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Glad you got it sorted.

Richard
    Participant

Hi Serg,

If you have time, would you be able to share the fix you used, please?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Just an update on 3.5.

The only issues we are getting now are when using a domain mapping plugin with WordPress multi-site. If you are using the plugin from WPMU then make sure you upgrade the plugin and sunrise.php first.

If you update your plugins first, then the upgrade has fewer surprises.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks – still waiting on a few plugins to be officially updated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.