Home Forums Mint Theme Discussion & Support Two menu bars for the mobile version (one for pages/posts, second 4 BuddyPress)

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jim 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jim
    Participant

For mobile users, one less scroll or tap means a lot.

I love the HTML5 tap-scroll-select-load menu on the iPhone. However, I was wondering if it was possible to have another one placed above or below it. For example, the first menu bar is mostly for about pages and stuff. If someone’s a member of the site, they’ll quickly become familiar with these menu choices.

To avoid having a long scroll menu for users, would it be possible to have the same thing, but a second menu just below it for the mobile site? Ideally, I’d like that to be a menu for pages and a categories section. The second one which would be awesome below it, would be for the BuddyPress parts of the site. This would be a clever way to segment the menus and allow for quicker maneuvering on the site.

Is this possible? If so, let me know. Thank you.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

You would need to have two menus. Mint only has one by default, so you would need to add a new menu to a child theme and

The mobile menu trick is implemented in livingos_mobilemenu_js() in \extend\functions.php.

You would need to add your second menu to this

Jim
    Participant

How would I go about doing that? It sounds like it might be a line or two of code, but I’m not sure what steps to do next.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

This isn’t a five minute job. A little beyond a forum post.

You will need to decide where your new menu will go on all screen sizes, insert php code to generate menu (probably in header.php), style with css and then get the mobile trick working (by adding call like existing menu).

All in a child theme of course!

Jim
    Participant

I’m not sure how that would be done. Could you update this in 1.6?

Logo,
    Menu 1 (for pages, posts)
    Menu 1 (for buddypress pages)

Thanks.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

But where would the BP menu go on desktop sizes?

Jim
    Participant

I’m not sure. The desktop one would have more space or could scoot below the first one?

Everything’s mobile these days so I thought a second menu for BuddyPress navigation would speed things up for users.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.