Home Forums Pure Theme Discussion & Support thumbsize setting does nothing

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Roger Leitch
    Participant

I have a page using the show posts shortcode.

The featured image of child pages is used as the thumb image, however the different aspect ratio means that the ends of the image are cut off.

Tried using the thumbsize option but it appears to make no visible difference.
    It can be viewed here: http://www.scfchurch.co.uk/preview/
    The first set have thumbsize=”widget”, the second have thumbsize=”gallery”

Is there a way of showing the whole width of the featured image in the thumbnail?
    (My only other choice would be to edit all the1024 * 360 header images containing text so that there is whitespace at the ends).

Thanks

themeweaver
    Keymaster

The two sets are using different thumsizes, but there is no ‘visible’ difference because they are bigger than the space available, so being responsive they just fill the space. If you had a single column layout you would see the difference.

You have 465×215 (widget) and 512×240 (gallery) in use here.

Thumbsizes are set in a function in \extend\functions,php. The function can also be redefined in a child theme for total customisation. In fact you could even add an additional size if required for a specific custom use. Just remember to regenerate thumbnails if you change anything.

The shortcode should also work with the three default WordPress sizes of ‘thumbnail’, ‘medium’ and ‘large’.

The default widths are set to fill maximum possible space when used in particular contexts. The heights can be adjusted to give better aspect ratio if required.

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Thanks – changing to a single column does show the size difference.

My issue is the featured image which is 1024 * 360 does not scale down correctly which is a problem with logos/text.

So I need thumbnail sizes that match the ratio e.g. 512 *180 or 256*90.

I will have a go with the child theme customisation.

Roger Leitch
    Participant

That was much easier than I thought it would be 🙂

Installed and activated pure child theme.
    Edited the functions.php file
    Pasted in a copy of the function los_base_thumb_sizes()
    Inserted two lines for half/quarter into the function

// custom thumb sizes for this child theme
    add_image_size( 'half',512, 180,true );   	//half Feature/slider images		
    add_image_size( 'quarter',256, 90,true );   	//quarter Feature/slider images

Used half and quarter as the thumbsize in the insert posts shortcode.
    Ran Regenerate Thumbnails

Pages now show the images with correct (actual) sizes with a single column and resize with the right proportions when using multiple columns.

Thanks again for a great theme and excellent support.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Yes child themes make Pure and Xi really flexible.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.