Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support ThemeLoom Widget Suggesiton: fb!

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant

I have tried all of the fb widgets for fb but none of them seem to be dynamic in nature – so they are static and size and clearly mash things up when used on smaller screens. Anyway that you might consider adding this as a widget similar to Twitter? Or do you know of a widget that would do something similar to the LivingOS?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

I’ll put it on the list.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks! Have a great holiday 🙂

Richard
    Participant

Hi again,

I am not asking if you are doing this, but I am curious if you have seen any new widgets that dynamically scale like this one, as I have had some feedback about the issue you have identified with the widget being static in nature.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

I have been looking into it. Creating a fb widget is more complex than twitter, so I’m a little way off this yet.

Are you interested in showing activity stream or friends? Actually the problem with creating a widget for facebook is that there are really far too many different things you might want to show.

Richard
    Participant

I like the one that we are currently using which is the stream & friends + a like link. I just wish the thing resized the way the ThemeLoom widgets operate 😕 I would also be willing to let one of those go, as we use fb and twitter somewhat differently and have two totally different constituencies watching us through those social media avenues.

Richard
    Participant

I am not necro posting, but I see you have added a new widget for flickr. I just want to inquire, therefore, whether this suggestion is still be considered? Thanks again for your ongoing presence & support!

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Yes I thought you might ask. Soon! fb is a little more tricky.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks 🙂

Richard
    Participant

Just wondering if there is any sense as to whether such a Widget will come to pass?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Yes,sorry, not forgotten, but the problem is that facebook doesn’t make this easy.
    The current plugins and widgets all basically just embed code that facebook produces, which is fixed width.

The only trick we found to overcome this facebook mess is here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9277301/fluid-like-box.

Right now this looks like a lot of work and there are other things on the to-do list.

It is time facebook woke up to recognise that there is another more beautiful world outside of its blue and white fixed width empire.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks for the update. sorry it is so awkward and odd that fb has not actually adjusted accordingly 😕

Richard
    Participant

http://codecanyon.net/item/facebook-likebox-slider-for-wordpress-/1021632?ref=arscode

I am thinking of this as an alternative, as I really do think that the fb default Like box detracts form everything else in the Theme. I also checked CodeCanyon for any dynamic widgets like your twitter one, but do not see a anything. I would appreciate any thoughts/challenges/directions should you have time?

Richard
    Participant

Hi once more – not necro-posting! Just wondering if you are heading toward implementing such a widget? If not, any suggestions how to make sure that the default fb Like Box can be transparent? I know the setting is there and for all of their plugins that works, but for some reason the Like Box maintains the Light or Dark skin.

Richard
    Participant

Thought you might find this of interest as I know that dynamic sizing was a concern:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9277301/fluid-like-box

I have used the width:100% suggestion (2nd to bottom) and it works! I have, therefore, used a Div Box and it looks close to what a ThemeLoom widget might, except I still cannot change the Color Scheme. Hope this is of use/interest.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.