Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support ThemeLoom – Show Posts Widget

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant

I am wondering if there is a way to tweak the spacing relationship between the thumbnail and the heading? I am using Featured Image icons that are sized 48×48 and realise a lot of real estate is lost and if I could claim some of that back that would be cool! Hope the question makes sense. There are the setting I am using for the widget:

Show dates

Show post thumbnails

Show post formats

Show post heading

themeweaver
    Keymaster

the space is governed by the css in the stylesheet about line 412. The other elements like the heading etc are floated right with a width % which would need to tweak.

You can do this either in a child theme or by duplicating these lines of css in the custom css section of theme options.

e.g.
    .LOSPostsWidget .has-post-image .entry-title, .LOSPagesWidget .has-post-image .entry-title {
    width: 70%;
    }

Keep the width less than 77% and you should be ok. The entry-thumb takes the rest.

Richard
    Participant

Just to be clear then, I can just C&P the code you have offered in the custom css to see if that tweaks the spacing?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

No, there are a number of lines in the style.css that you need to copy across to customise the width.

Richard
    Participant

So there is, in fact, no simple way to address this, as I admit to being ignorant of the code aspect?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

I think the following single css statement will do it. You can adjust the width but if you tweak it too far your text will wrap below the image. Also I can’t guarantee it will look great in every place you put the widget.

.LOSPostsWidget .has-post-image .entry-title, .LOSPagesWidget .has-post-image .entry-title,
    .LOSPostsWidget .has-post-image .entry-date, .LOSPagesWidget .has-post-image .entry-date, .LOSPostsWidget .has-post-image .entry-content, .LOSPagesWidget .has-post-image .entry-content{

width:75%;
    }

Richard
    Participant

I have not implemented this as the latest version seems to have done something with the relationship of the thumbnail to the text in the Show Post widget.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Yes you are right! We agreed with you about the spacing. And also for future reference the class names above would be slightly different and simpler now:

.los-custom-post .has-post-image .entry-title,
    .los-custom-post .has-post-image .entry-date, .los-custom-post .has-post-image .entry-content {
    width:75%;
    }

Richard
    Participant

Okay, I think I can tweak this desire better now: Is there anyway to add my own icon category to the existing one that are 48×48. I like the smaller size, but want specific icons with colour, which in turn allows the Show Post Widget to have tighter real estate spacing. Does this make any sense?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Each post format has its own icon defined at line 418 in style.css.

You can just change the image reference where required.

e.g.

.los-custom-post.format-audio.no-post-image { 
         background: url(images/icons/formats/format_audio48.png) 
     }

Richard
    Participant

So what you are suggesting is changing the icon for the style to which an icon is referenced? It is too bad there is not more flexibility in the posting itself to manually set the icon or override one, but I suspect that is WordPress coding.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Post formats are just a WordPress feature that most themes don’t even support. The them in this case makes all of theme available to you and gives each an icon and styling in the blog page template.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.