Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support Theme localization

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

How exactly do we translate the theme? It says it’s localization ready but I can’t find the pot or mo files.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

pot file is in extend\langauges folder

Henrik Vaglin
    Participant

I think the default english translation files might need an update or something, because I’ve gone through and translated each string (unless in cases not needed for swedish) but still there’s a couple of places where the translations simply hasn’t found its way to.

Especially the custom post types that comes with the Xi theme are just semi-translated, but also other places. Is it possible to get an updated pot-file to work from?

BTW as a bonus I might contribute swedish localization files when its done :-)

Henrik Vaglin
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to add one thing. I get this error message when translating in Poedit:

15.47.53: […my local wordpress installation…]/wp-content/themes/LivingOS_Xi/extend/languages/sv_SE.po:236: ‘msgstr’ is not a valid PHP format string, unlike ‘msgid’. Reason: In the directive number 1, the character ‘k’ is not a valid conversion specifier.
    15.47.53: msgfmt: found 1 fatal error

Don’t know if it relates or is even valid, because most of the translation files works anyways.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Yes, I think you may be right, we need to update the po files in a couple of places. Hope to issue something this week.

Henrik Vaglin
    Participant

Great! If possible also create a POT file, because Poedit can use it to update a po translation file. I’m not sure how this relates since I have never created any po files from scratch, but hopefully you know better what this means. :-)

themeweaver
    Keymaster

But you can open the po file that comes with the theme in poedit and save it as another language. Then translate each text in your new po file.

You don’t need a POT file.

I was hoping to add a tutorial on this at some point, since seem to have more users recently needing to do this.

Henrik Vaglin
    Participant

Well, the thing is I already have translated the current po file, and I simply want to update it with whatever strings will be added in an updated “master file” rather than translating the updated po file from scratch. It seems that can only be done with a pot file in poedit, or am I missing something?

BTW Great theme! (refering to Xi) I’m doing a child theme thou because I want to tweak it some for my special taste and needs. Using Buddypress and the integration with the theme as well :-)

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Actually, I think .pot and .po files are exactly the same, just have different file ext.

I believe when we issue an updated .po, you can open your translated version and choose update from .pot and select the new .po file!

Henrik Vaglin
    Participant

Ok, thanks. Looking forward to updated po file then! :-)

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Try version 3.0. But do let me know if you find any strings not included.

Henrik Vaglin
    Participant

Ok, I’ve updated the theme to version 3.0 and done a full translation to swedish according to the po file. Here are the strings I can’t find:

* On the settings pages none of the choice boxes and radio button texts are in the en.po file as far as I can see
    * On the Typography settings page there’s a “Uppercae” radio button text I guess should be “Uppercase” – also not in the po file
    * On the Child Theme settings page none of the strings are in the po file

* On the Events post type menu and pages “Add new” and “Catergories”
    * On the Features post type menu and pages “Add new” and “Description”

As far as I’ve gotten with using the actual public pages I haven’t seen any untranslated text this far.

BTW Poedit could not update from a regular PO file but asks for a POT file. To get around having to retranslate everything from scratch in the new file I used a Diff GUI tool, but that was far from as easy as to be considered user friendly, so I urge you to please look into that matter too.

Beyond that I think it’s great you take these matters seriously – I know not all theme developers do – so kudos to you! :-)

themeweaver
    Keymaster

A po file is no different to a pot file. posedit will open the po file.

When you select update from .pot file, in the file dialog select all file types and select the po file instead.

Anyway, thanks for the missing strings info, we’ll make sure they get worked into next release.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.