Home Forums Pure Theme Discussion & Support Sidebar widget Areas

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Roger Leitch
    Participant

There is sidebar widget area 1 – for index pages
    There is sidebar widget area 2 – for single page/posts
    There is a buddy press sidebar widget area.

I can see no way to set a page as an index, so that objects in sidebar widget area 1 appear.

Sidebar area 2 appears on Posts / Standard Pages (not full width) and on events.

Standard pages with child pages automatically seem to get a menu listing child pages.

I would like a sidebar menu on pages but not on posts or events.

1. Can we suppress automatic child page menu?
    2. Can we suppress / control sidebars specifically for event/posts/pages?

Perhaps what I am thinking of is either a post / page / event setting or a page template option which determines which sidebar appears. e.g. standard page with sidebar 1 or standard page with sidebar 2.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Sidebar 1 appears on index pages (i.e. things like a category or tag archive for example).

1. Easy enough just redefine function livingos_subpages_menu() in your child theme:

function livingos_subpages_menu(){
    return “”;
    }

2. You would need to code this really – best way is copy files you want different into your theme and change them there. You could even create more sidebars fro specific purposes doing this.

But if your not a coder, then perhaps something like the widget context plugin could help – this lets you control what widgets appear on different pages, in effect giving you unlimited flexibility.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-context/ – one the most useful plugins on the planet!

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply.

Your reply indicates that the subpages menu is suposed to be there by design.
    It always appears first, above any custom menu users may have.

However, using the custom menu widget provides the same feature but with more user control.

It may may more sense not to include this function or have available it as a widget.

Just spotted the description of sidebar 1 on the theme demo, on the example posts page:

“This sidebar will appear on archive and blog type pages when you add some widgets to sidebar 1 in the usual way. It can also be left empty”.

This description is different to the information in the widget page of the dashboard, which talks about inex pages.

I will check out the widget-context plug in.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Can’t cover every base. Always a trade-off between ease of use (especially new users) and total flexibility fro advanced users.

A theme can’t do everything. Though WordPress can!

But where possible the theme lets you modify as with function described above in a child theme. So advanced users do have the ability to customise.

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Hi Tim,

I understand this – it is best to work with the theme not to fight it!
    I am trying hard to avoid modifications 😉

The challenge is learning how the theme behaves, the child page menu on a parent page was an unexpected discovery, it’s potential usefulness limited by there not being a menu on the child pages.
    I was trying to have a menu to switch between child pages, hence getting an extra menu was not welcome.

As the child menus only appears on the parent page and not the child pages, I will simply leave the parent page empty and take vistors direct to the first child page and either use a custom menu or the theme widget to switch between child pages.
    The widget context plug looks like it will help.

(The theme having a single level menu means site navigation requires some careful thought).

With your guidance I am getting there.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Of course the breadcrumbs across the top also provide navigation.

But your best option for complete control may be to simply override the subpage menu as suggested above. Write your own function that does exactly what you want or use widgets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.