Home Forums Pure Theme Discussion & Support Show Posts/Pages Shortcode

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Leitch 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Roger Leitch
    Participant

On some pages I would like to show the featured image of another page, with the option to to click through to that other page.

I could do this by simply inserting a copy of a featured image / creating a hyperlink.
    Or I could create a dummy parent page to (for the parent_id parameter in the show posts shortcode) with a redirect* page as the child page.
    This would mean 2 extra pages being created.

What would be simpler and neater would be an improvement to the “show posts” short code so that it shows 1 page only. e.g. use a new page_id= parameter.
    parent_id=”n” would work as now, showing child pages.
    page_id=”n” would just show the single page referred to.

Is this feasible / something you could add to your release plan?

*The redirect plug-in can be used to redirect a dummy or alias page to a real page.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

But as you suggest it is just as easy to insert an image with a hyperlink. Using a widget or shortycode seems a little over-kill for this.

Roger Leitch
    Participant

I was not expecting a significant development, it just struck me that it could make it easier to insert a link to another page ensuring theme formats are followed.

My challenge is the person providing me the content keeps having ideas about “structure” rather than providing the actual content 🙁
    He wants sideways links between pages so that the same page is referred to from multiple paraent pages.

I can do this now if the target is a post, by using a specific cat_id.

If there was an option to use cat_id with pages? (e.g. cat_id defined in a custom field)
    Alternatively could we have a “page – wide” format/template for posts?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.