Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support Permalink Help Please

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Leitch 5 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant

How do I set a permalink on a page to display the blog postings from a Category? At the moment – if I use this code – {los_showposts post_type=”posts” columns=”3″ content=”true” heading=”true” cat_id=”” num_posts=”3″ } – I get all recent Posts and I only want it from one Category. Any help would be again most gratefully received!

Richard
    Participant

Okay I have realised this may not be exactly what I need and I am unsure what to do. What I want is to have posts from a category posted to the page. When I set the page template to ‘Blog,’ however, I get every post and I want only the posts from a particular category posted on that page does this make sense? Is there a simple solution? Thanks again for all your ongoing support!

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Hi Fionavar

You need to insert the cat_id number for the category you want to display in the show posts code e.g. cat_id=”20″.

The cat_id number can be found by looking on the posts / categories option, hovering the cursor over the category you want will display a tag_id number in the url. Use this number and it should work.

I am planning to use this approach to display “news” posts on selected pages.

Roger

Richard
    Participant

Thanks Roger I have that part actually working. My problem is that it is displaying ALL posts, not just from the category and, unlike the Blog Template, it doe snot show the entire Blog. Finally, with this function enabled, it is also posting the Featured Image, which I also do not want. So much to learn!

Fwiiw, this is my current code: {los_showposts post_type=”posts” columns=”1″ content=”true” cat_id=29″” num_posts=”1″}

Richard
    Participant

As a follow up, how do you set post types?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Add thumbs=”false” to get rid of images.

You code fro cat_id has the quotes in the wrong place by the way. Should be cat_id=”29”

Richard
    Participant

Thanks – that got rid of the Thumbs! Is there a way, however, to display the entire Category Blog post on a page as if it were a Blog Template Page? Does that make sense?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Not quite – that would then be the Blog template page?!

Richard
    Participant

Here is the page I am using: http://ucim.org/church/a-deacons-musing/

I have it set as default because when I set it as a Blog Template ALL of the posts throughout the site go there and I want only the Entries designated int he category: http://ucim.org/category/church/a-deacons-musing/ to post there. I suspect I am making this harder than it is, so thanks for your patience yet again!

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Instead of inserting the code to display posts, have you tried the combination of a page using the blog template with the custom field ‘category_name’ with your category name (not the id number) as the value.
    Othe custom fields set the number of posts on a page etc.

Hope this helps.

Richard
    Participant

I have not tried that & brilliant! Thanks so much Roger that is exactly what I knew would be simple, though I did not know how. I am most appreciative!

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Happy to Help 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.