Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support New to WordPress

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 36 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

themeweaver
    Keymaster

1. there isn’t a correct size. The theme scales, that is what a responsive theme does, so on some devices will be taller and shorter and others, wider and thinner. The default banners are tileable in the x direction and fade to transparent at the top to accommodate this.

2. I don’t think you can do this with the standard meta widget that comes with WP. Just put the login link in a menu or use one of the menu login plugin/widgets around.

3. No not at present.

4. No, the footer spreads its widgets over four columns. With some work in CSS it could be changed, but not a simply one. You could certainly create a child theme that did that.

5. Square images are not much use for the slider. The max slider image size is set in functions.php to 1024×480 for this theme. This could therefore be changed in a child theme, but this size is optimum for the way the theme is set up. WP will resize (in width) anything bigger, so your images should be at least this size with similar aspect ratio.

Richard
    Participant

1) Thanks. I am having someone design a new banner based on the 1904×200 parameters.

2) Okay I will look into that.

3) Plans to do so? As not all images accommodate a universal font colour.

4) Okay – fair enough.

5) Yes I realised this and took my square image and posted it onto a canvas more conducive to the slider.

Thanks again! The power & flexibility of WP and your theme compared to DNN is wonderful! I think the site is now alive enough that I have registered the church’s site through one of your companion sites. As the moment only 3) seems most pressing fwiiw. Your patience is a boon and thanks for this new theme!

Richard
    Participant

Currently the ‘Create a Button’ option in the WYSIWYG is not working. When I click on it I get a blank pop-up window in both IE & FF.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Seems ok here in FF, IE and Chrome. If you are on a slow connection/server it can maybe take a short delay for popup content to appear. Give the box 20s before closing it and see if that does it.

Richard
    Participant

Hi again,,

I have tried it in all three as well. I just get a blank box in FF & Chrome. In IE I get the following in the pop-up box itself:

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500

Most likely causes:
    •The website is under maintenance.
    •The website has a programming error.

What you can try:

Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Please try the latest version of the theme (1.2) and let me know if this changes anything for you.

Richard
    Participant

Will do – this will not change the adjustment I have made to the Style CSS will it?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Not if you put your changes in the theme options page or a child theme.

You should never edit the actual parent theme files.

Richard
    Participant

I had to add stuff to the Style.css for the icons. Is that okay?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

It’s ok but you will lose them every time you upgrade the theme.

There is no reason why the custom css couldn’t go in the custom css section of the theme options. It wouldn’t be lost when you upgrade.

Richard
    Participant

So I should copy this to the custom.css?

/* icon menu items */
    li.wc32 {background: url(images/icons/buddy/wc_32.png) no-repeat 50% 50%; text-indent: -99999px;width:40px;height:32px;float:left;border:none;}
    li.ucc32 {background: url(images/icons/buddy/ucc_32.gif) no-repeat 50% 50%; text-indent: -99999px;width:40px;height:32px;float:left;border:none;}
    li.affirm32 {background: url(images/icons/buddy/affirm_32.gif) no-repeat 50% 50%; text-indent: -99999px;width:40px;height:32px;float:left;border:none;}
    li.ucw32 {background: url(images/icons/buddy/ucw_32.png) no-repeat 50% 50%; text-indent: -99999px;width:40px;height:32px;float:left;border:none;}

themeweaver
    Keymaster

yes! Then you won’t lose it when you upgrade.

If you end up with a lot more custom stuff, then it is better to put them in a child theme.

Richard
    Participant

Cool – and there is not particular formatting required to make this happen? i.e. delineating entries?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

no. If it works as css in the stylesheet it works in the css field.

Richard
    Participant

Okay – should I cut this out of the Style.CSS or is it okay to have it duplicated? What happens if there isdifferent stuff in the Custom that contradicts the Style.css? Does it override?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.