Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support New to WordPress

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 36 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant

Hi there,

I am migrating my church site from DotNetNuke to WordPress. I think all will be okay, but currently it feels like a big learning curve. I am experiencing some challenges with the Background colours for the Headers and Footers in Xi and hope you can offer some guidance, as CSS is not a strength for me! I am wanting the Header banner to be pretty much white, but when I set the colour accordingly all I get is grey with a pattern that is filled with ‘v’s all over the place. As well, I would like the footer to be metallic blue, but I am not sure how to do that. I suspect I will have more questions and I will pray for patience and any assistance you might be able to offer. I was originally looking at the Mu, but it seems the Xi incorporates more updated features.

Richard
    Participant

Hello again,

Okay I have designed and come up with a banner which feels good. I based the length on the banner size in the header folder: 1904 pixels: Does that make sense?

Now I am wondering how do I change the footer colour as I have asked? As well, the text colour in the header needs to be darkened owing to the new lighter banner. I am not certain how I do that?

I look forward to sharing the big reveal once these details are addressed and I then populate the site with info!

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Richard, to customise the theme as you require, you do need to use CSS, either in the Design-CSS section of the theme options or in a child theme.

1. Footer Metallic Blue – well there is a new option coming for the footer to choose color, but the default css is:

#footer-container {
    background: #000 url(images/footer_bg.png) repeat-x top;}
    The ‘metallic’ effect comes from the bg image.

Add a similar line to the custom css in the theme options (or in a child theme).

2. For the header banner, either upload to the images/headbg folder and select from options. Or if your banner is not a repeating type you will need to add it with css.

This is what the default is:
    #header-container {
    background: #333 url(images/header_bg_1.png) repeat-x bottom;
    }

Hope this gets you started.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks! I will try to figure that out tomorrow. I have just been playing with setting up the social media link/custom widget with the CSS Classes. The YouTube icon is not showing up in FF, IE or Chrome. What should I do?

As well, how do I assign new CSS Classes to other icons I wish to use in that same custom widget? I am hoping to keep these in the Footer so is there any way to have the widget ‘right aligned’ so to speak, as I have the login in the footer on the left – does that make sense?

Finally, for now and I do pray this is useful and not irritating!, in the Appearance section for the Living OS, ‘Release’ is misspelled ‘Relase.’

Thanks for this great resource, I am so looking forward to this site going lilve …

with respect,

Richard

Richard
    Participant

Okay just to follow up for the Footer is the CCS code? So I want it to look like this:

/* FOOTER AREA */
    #footer-container{
    background: #2210e3 url(images/footer_bg.png) repeat-x top;

Do I have that right: #2210e3 being the colour I want?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Well, that looks ok, but you will need to create your own foot_bg tile as it will be black. There will be an update to the theme shortly which will give the option to choose color, as with header.

This update also fixes the issue with menu icons for youtube.

Should be out next couple of days.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Download version 1.1 now for footer color option.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks!

Okay a few pieces I still need direction about:

1) I have just been playing with setting up the social media link/custom widget with the CSS Classes. The YouTube icon is not showing up in FF, IE or Chrome. What should I do?

2) As well, how do I assign new CSS Classes to other icons I wish to use in that same custom widget? I am hoping to keep these in the Footer so is there any way to have the widget ‘right aligned’ so to speak, as I have the login in the footer on the left – does that make sense?

3) As I am using a lighter banner, how do I change the colour of the text in the search filed and the menu text itself to something darker?

thanks gain!

3)

Richard
    Participant

Update:

1) YouTube icon now present.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

1. Your browser refresh brought the icon in

2. Look in style.css under section /* icon menu items */. Just create a new one. Are there any in particular you will use. I will add them to the default set if common.

3. If you add more widgets to the footer they still be spread across in columns. Do you just have one widget? You could add text widgets with nothing in them for now?

4. There will be a child theme coming with this, but for now you need to change the color of header elements something like:

#searchbox #s{ color: #333; }
    ul.page-menu a { color: #333; }
    ul.page-menu a:hover { color: #666; }
    .nav-menu a, .nav-menu a:visited { color: #333;}
    .nav-menu a:hover { color: #666;}
    .nav-menu ul a, .nav-menu ul a:visited { color: #333;}
    .nav-menu ul a:hover { color: #666;}
    ul.page-menu .current-menu-item a, ul.page-menu .current_page_item a {color:#666;}

As I say there will be a child theme or option to provide this soon.

Richard
    Participant

1. Thanks!

2. They are denominationally (United Church of Canada) specific – do you want them?

3. Thanks I realised that shortly after!

4. Is this in the main CSS Style? If so, where in there should I put this?

New

5. In the Xi example on the Main Page you have two widgets under the slider – how did you do that?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

2. Probably not then
    4. You can put this in the CSS field (in design tab) in theme options.
    5. See user guide. I added an image to show how the preview is put together. See Widgets & Homepage section.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks – all resolved! Your assistance and patience is most wonderful!

New question

1) Text colour: Is there anyway to change it? I do not see that option in the WYSIWIG.

2) Banner Size: I am using a custom one 1904×200: is that correct?

3) Where is the Meta CSS? I just want the admin login and would like to remove the rest. Possible?

Richard
    Participant

1) I just discovered the Kitchen Sink – disregard :)

Richard
    Participant

1) Banner Size: I am using a custom one 1904×200: is that correct?

2) Where is the Meta CSS? I just want the admin login and would like to remove the rest. Possible?

3) Slider Text Colour: I have found that it is a global setting – is there any way to adjust the text colour on per case basis in order to accommodate different colours of background images?

4) Footer: Is there anyway to centre a widget in the footer?

5) Slider images: What is the recommended optimum size? I am trying to use a square image and it is just WAY too big and does not seems to be scaling property. Is there a picture formate you prefer in order for no distortion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.