Home Forums Mint Theme Discussion & Support More flexibility with the Google Fonts in Theme Options?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jim
    Participant

Would it be possible to replace the plaintext Google font name with screenshots or the font in its font style? This saves us from about 40 searches to see what they look like.

Also, since Google has a large selection of fonts, could you add a text box for users to enter their preferred Google Font so the stylesheet would be updated? Another cool idea to save users from adding a child theme and adding more value to the amazing Theme Options interface.

Thanks,
    Jim

Nick Truscott
    Participant

That’s a nice idea – can’t you add other fonts in the custom CCS box (or in a child stylesheet.

Having said that, the Google Fonts plugin (which you’ve probably already found) does a very good job too.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-google-fonts/

Jim, I always used to fiddle around with customising CSS without a child theme until I started using Tim’s themes. The child theme can save hours of heartache and extra work when the parent theme is updated – I think the extra 2 mins needed to create a folder on your themes directory and add a blank stylesheet and functions.php to it is well worth it if you want to change anything.

Nick

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Actually we did have the fonts previewing in previous versions, but found loading every font into your browser to do so is a bit overkill. In fact it did kill people’s browser! So yes we are looking at perhaps finding an alternative way of doing it.

The plugin Nick mentioned doesn’t load them all either to preview.

Regarding options, we believe less is more. You can’t produce options for every users possible desires.

But a child theme is very simple, as Nick says, and with a couple of lines of css any theme can be made to fit your needs.

Jim
    Participant

Child themes are recommended by your team and WP devs so I’ll go that route.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Great. Font previews will return to next release.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.