Home Forums Pure Theme Discussion & Support Image Alt Text and captions

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Leitch 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Roger Leitch
    Participant

I have uploaded images, defined the Alt text to make it screen reader friendly, however when I view the pages and hover the mouse over the image all that is displayed is the image name not the alt text as expected.

Is this a Theme or WordPress “feature”?

For some of my images I could make use of the caption.
    If I go back into the image selector and edit the caption, it saves ok.
    Unfortunately it does not seem to update the image as used in the post.

Is this a limitation of the editor?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

If you hover your mouse over an image, I think most browsers (but not IE) show the title attribute not the alt text. If you have uploaded images, the title is by default the image name.

Not sure what you mean with your second question. The editor certainly isn’t perfect. I often simply delete the image in the post and re-insert. Does it work then?

Roger Leitch
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. This discussion has helped me figure out what is going on.

“ALT text no longer “pops up” when you run your mouse over an image. You have to use a TITLE attribute for that”

Alt text only displays while an image is loading and is used to describe the text.

The Image Title (which defaults to the file name) is what is displayed with the mouse over.

secondly it looks like changes in image editor just update the library, They do not get copied into the post unless you delete and re-insert.

The quick answer is to simply swap to HTML view and update the values there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.