Home Forums Mu Theme Discussion & Support How can I Update MU Theme?

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Don S 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jim Felder
    Participant

How can I update the MU theme to the latest version and not change what I’ve done with my site thus far?

I don’t want to overwrite what I have done so far with our site. There are several custom items, images, etc. If I download and upload the new version it wastes all that I have done. I have asked this question before but it was too difficult to figure out how to do this without losing all the changes I’ve made.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

First, all your options configured in theme options, all your posts and pages etc, they remain intact, even if you change the theme entirely.

If you are talking about edits you have made to the theme files, such as the CSS and PHP files then…

The best way to customise any theme, and not just Mu, is to use a child theme. I wrote a post spoecifically about doing this Mu here:
    http://themeloom.com/2011/04/how-to-customise-mu-or-any-wordpress-theme/

I realise this may not help if you have already made modifications, then make a backup of your modifications and then update. Mu hasn’t changed a great deal over the last few version – the release notes where possible mention which files have changed.

So if you have only changed one or two files, you may be able to just copy them over the new ones. Most edits can be done in css only, so in most cases this is the only file people change. If you do make changes to the css file, put them all at the end of the file, so you can easily do this next time.

Hope this helps. But child themes are the way to go!

Don S
    Participant

I followed the instructions on a child theme, but have hit a snag.

The feed doesn’t work.

In the child theme I have a function instruction (changing the read more), and this seems to block the feed. Otherwise it works on the site.

Here is the error report:
    Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/20/8126720/html/wp-content/themes/LivingOS-Mu-TUC/functions.php:10) in /home/content/20/8126720/html/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php on line 8

Any guidance?
    Don

themeweaver
    Keymaster

This kind of error is often caused by extra spaces at top or bottom of php file. If it is just in the child theme, then check your functions.php for any leading or trailing whit space and remove.

Don S
    Participant

You’re brilliant!
    That worked.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.