Home Forums Mint Theme Discussion & Support Excerpts rather than full posts

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Simon Lee
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for this fantastic theme. I am building a site (http://www.sabisa.org) and have run into two issues that I need some assistance with:

1) Currently the theme displays full posts in any category view. Is it possible to change this to excerpts only? I suspect it will require an edit to one of the theme files, but I am not sure which one.

What could work as an alternative is to create a page with the post shortcode and limit the posts to that particular category, but I cannot get this to style correctly:

http://www.sabisa.org/taxation/

2) A small Buddypress issue. I am using the dynamic groups and members widgets that should allow you to toggle between “newest”, “active” and “popular”, but when I click on any of these it takes me to the member or group page instead. Is this a theme issue or a Buddypress issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Simon

themeweaver
    Keymaster

1. archive pages liek category and tag pages use a function livingos_archive_content() defined in base\content.php to show loop. This function can be redefined in a child theme to override it or you can create a new cuntion for your category pages. Category pages use category.php.

Or have you tried to blog template – this shows full posts and can be restricted to category. Create a page, choose blog template and set the custom fields like category_name defined in the user guide (http://themeloom.com/support/theme-docs/mint-user-guide/).

2. sounds like a BP or permalinks issue. Try recreating permalinks.

Simon Lee
    Participant

Thanks, all sorted on the first issue. The blog template works well.

Still not luck with the buddypress widget links. I’ve tried recreating permalinks but all three toggles (newest, active, popular) still point to the groups/members pages rather than switching between the three views on the widget.

Russ Lane
    Participant

Hi Theme,

I’m having the same issue as the OP. Can you spell out this process more than you have regarding category pages showing excerpts, please?

I have so many categories that it makes the most sense to edit category.php, but I have no idea how I should amend it and this has been frustrating me for two years now.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

To change the category page requires a bit work in terms of coding. In which case you are best advised creating a child theme. Then you can create a custom category.php without affecting the parent them code base.

However, these page are designed to take advantage of the ‘more’ tag. Which is a standard WordPress feature and requires no changes to code:

In your posts you can insert the ‘more’ tag at the point you want to break content on the category page.

The category page will then show up to the more tag.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.