Home Forums Pure Theme Discussion & Support Drop Down Menu?

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Daniel Davis
    Participant

Does this theme support drop down menus as the XI theme does? If so, I’m having issues getting it to to work with custom menus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

themeweaver
    Keymaster

No, Pure does not have drop down menus. The menu in Pure is down the side, though it does move to the top when browser is resized or on smaller devices – it is a responsive theme.

As you say, Xi does have a dropdown menu. If you think you have the wrong theme, I can always swap your registration to Xi instead.

Pure does show sub page menus in the sidebar, when you use page hierarchy. You can also put the custom menu widget in the sidebar or the footer as we have done on the preview. Drop down menus are not for everybody and this theme provides navigation in a more subtle and more responsive-friendly way.

Daniel Davis
    Participant

Thanks very much for the response. I think the theme and it’s responsive layout are very well done. You all have done a great job with it. But I have a couple dozen categories, pages and links that I need to display, and a drop down menu is the best option. Is there any possibility that this feature would be added to it in the near future? If not, while I like the Pure layout more, I think drop down menus are more of a necessity and would consider swapping registrations. Thanks so much for your help with this.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

One further option would be to customise thebadmin bar. There are plugins available to do this. We designed pure initially for a site where the buddypress admin bar would always be visible. This is the case in the demo.

Otherwise I think it is unlikely that we would add a dropdown to pure.

Larry McMahon
    Participant

Hi,

I did not realize that Pure does not have dropdown menus.

How can I make the swap to xi?

Larry

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Just confirm it via the priority contact form and I’ll change your registration over.

Nick Truscott
    Participant

Shame about Pure not showing 2nd level menu items!! would be really useful – the theme is fantastic but not everyone has (or wants) a flat menu hierachy – if you have “About” and have several pages under that you dont really want to have to write something on the “About” page just so you can put the sub menu in the widget on that page.

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Yes but conversely not everyone wants a drop down menu! Most usability experts don’t like them.

So Xi has dropdowns. Pure has something better (imho). The next theme will have something different again!

Nick Truscott
    Participant

LOLOL you techie guys have all the answers!

Looking forward to seeing what the new theme is…. (when?)

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Soon!

Craig H
    Participant

Hi, I have searched for a plugin to customize the badmin bar but have not found anything that would allow me to add a menu to it. any suggestions?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

They have just done a major revamp of the WP admin bar, so the links below may not actually work!

Also Buddypress admin bar will be removed some point soon and be more integrated into WP.

http://maketecheasier.com/4-excellent-techniques-to-enhance-wp-admin-bar/2011/04/03
    http://wpengineer.com/2113/add-menus-to-the-admin-bar-of-wordpress/
    http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/36394/wp-3-3-how-to-add-menu-items-to-the-admin-bar

Roger Leitch
    Participant

An Interesting discussion.
    I find some of the drop down menus very frustrating, especially if they have a third level. Laptops have a pad not a mouse and it easy to “fall off” the menu branch you are trying to choose.
    Trying to navigate them on a phone is near impossible.

I have someone who is providing the content for a makeover of the site we bougt this theme for. I am fighting to get him to let the theme do it’s thing, where “links” to pages pages are constucted using the feature images of child pages.

Simplicity and elegance are the key words I have in mind. 🙂

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Absolutely. Dropdown menus are a rather lazy way of assembling content really. And if an item is in a drop down it isn’t visible – so who will know its there other than you!

Of course designing themes for people to download means there has to be a dropdown here and there to keep people happy, but I’d choose Pure’s navigation over Xi every time.

It is very easy to break the asthetics of any theme by trying to cram stuff into it, either in menus or filling the home page. And actually this is a big problem with the theme market. In a properly designed website the content would come first and you would design a theme for it. Not the other way round. Of course this does cost more – you have to employ a designer to produce a custom design for you but in the end the results are always far better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.