Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support Creating A Page Of Pages, Like the ThemeLoom ShowPages Widget

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Fishers Church 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Fishers Church
    Participant

Dear St. Tim:

I have my head spinning from reading about five different plug-ins and at least that many people’s posts about the best way to code for this, but…

Since you have an awesome widget-“Show Pages” could you please share the coding magic to do it on a page (not just a widget).

I would like to create a page for my church called “Grow” and I want to have child-pages under it, such as children’s ministry, high school ministry, etc. I would love for the Grow page to have an H1 header of explanation and them show page names, page thumbs, and possible brief page description.

The widget approach for this works great, but I want that type of look in more places than just them home page. I would be willing to do this off of a category (have a category page that displays name, thumb, etc. of each page in that category. I just want to get it done. Can you help.
    My sandbox site (where I am practicing) is http://cleantest.fishersofmen.org. THANKS!

P.S. If what I asked isn’t possible, I am wondering a further thing. Is there some easy code that a sidebar or a menu would appear only on a page such as “Grow” and would list at least hyperlinks of all the child-pages [or sub-categories] for that one entity. Double THANKS!

Jerry (Fishers Church)

Fishers Church
    Participant

Tim:

Here is one plug-in i explored:

List Pages Shortcode. But it isn’t listed as up to date with WordPress 3.2.1.
    I also read Joost de Valk’s post http://yoast.com/showing-subcategories-on-wordpress-category-pages/, but it is criticised for being buggy by another bloke

And “Function Reference/wp list pages” page on WP.org admits it is out of date.

I really have tried, but I prefer to be a pastor than a coder. This is my last hump to get over, and I can blitz my way to a functional site with your great HTML5 theme!

Regards! Jerry

Fishers Church
    Participant

Here is a link to a church that is doing what I hope you can help me do:

http://www.stonebriar.org/get-connected/

Thanks! Jerry at Fishers Church

themeweaver
    Keymaster

You are right, the code is already there in my theme because of the widgets, which were created because of my frustration with other plugins.

I have been working on adding a button to the visual editor which will drop in a shortcode to call the code used by the show posts and show pages widget.

This should be available in a new release of Xi next week.

I think this will work for you, if you can wait a few days.

Fishers Church
    Participant

AWESOME! Thanks, Tim! You and your theme rock!

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Download Version 1.4. Xi now has a lovely shortcode to do this.

Fishers Church
    Participant

A lovely thank you (or two!) to you, Tim! XI just keeps getting better!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.