Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support Child Themes

This topic is: not a support question

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  themeweaver 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nick Truscott
    Participant

If I need to make a change to responsive.css or reset.css or superfish.css for my child theme (in this case, I want to widen the drop down navigation menu box to fit the width of the page title so it doesn’t wrap to a second line) do I also need to duplicate the folder structure in my child theme and then add the amended .css file?

Thanks

themeweaver
    Keymaster

You shouldn’t make changes to any of these files. I don’t think in this case you need to any way.

All changes can be coded in your child style.css, provided you include parent style.css as shown in docs. http://themeloom.com/support/framework-codex/developers/creating-a-child-theme/

Your changes seem to be layout changes which are coded in extend/layout.css.

If you need to make a lot of layout changes then follow the advanced section (create fully custom file) of the child theme docs and create a custom layout css file to load instead.

Nick Truscott
    Participant

Thanks.

I don’t need to make a lot of changes – I’m simply trying to make the width of the drop down menu items wider and I couldn’t find the line of css in which to do it.

With firebug I can see that if I change the width value in then it works fine – but I guess that value is dynamic so I need to edit a % somewhere?

http://chaplaincy-dubai-sharjah-northern-emirates.org/ – menu item “chaplains”

If I have to edit the responsive-1 or responsive-2 css sheets, do I need to add the “extend/layouts” directory in my child theme – that was my other question. Or am I missin gsomething (or being too lazy??) 🙂

themeweaver
    Keymaster

responsive-1 is the layout file for Xi. responsive-2 isn’t used (future use!).

Copying css files into your child does not do the same thing as copying template files like header.php or single.php etc. WordPress spots the alternative template files but it cannot do that with the css files.

If you look at the example in the child theme docs at the bottom of page about creating a fully custom stylesheet. In this example I do the same imports that the parent does but then pull in my own layout.css (in mu child theme folder).

But I must then reproduce the rest of the styles that were in the parent style.css in my child css.

Changing responsive-1 can be done this way. But just a few edits can be done just by overriding styles in the child’s style.css.

In terms of the drop down menu, it is not really all that responsive. It is a pure superfish menu but it does actually dynamically adjust to the longest item. It uses the supersubs script. The min and max width of these are set in javascript to be 12em and 27em. See js/tricks.js.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.