This topic is: not a support question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Larry McMahon 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Larry McMahon
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a child theme for the Pure Theme? If not, how are upgrades to the theme to be handled? I’m sure I will have some local changes.

Regards,
    Larry

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Create a new folder and follow this guide http://themeloom.com/support/framework-codex/developers/creating-a-child-theme/

The only file required would be a style.css to get going.

Change the Xi’s to Pure’s.

If you like I can send you a sample for Pure and probably should put one up here some where.

Larry McMahon
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the tip..

It woould be nice to have a /themes/ folder with the dhild theme distributed with the theme download.

Larry

Larry McMahon
    Participant

Hi,

I activated my child theme and was able to change “.flex-caption h2” just as a test.

However, adding this to my style.css did not chnage the text color:
    .slide-excerpt{margin-bottom:0.5em;max-height:80px;overflow:hidden;color: #330000;
    }

I added @import url(“../LivingOS-Pure/base/lib/css/feature-slider.css”); to my style.css just for grins.

My question is, how do I make my child theme style.css changes override css that is not in the style.css file?

Regards,
    Larry

themeweaver
    Keymaster

you don’t need to add feature slider css. In fact you shouldn’t! This is added automatically when slider is enabled.

flexislider.css is added before the Pure style.css in the header by the theme

Your child theme just needs to import the Pure style.css

Then everything that follow overrides the other stuff depending on CSS selector rules. I suspect your rule is being ignored because another rule with higher priority.

The excerpt for example is probably governed by this statement in flexislider.css:
    .flex-caption p{}.

This trumps your .slide.excerpt in terms of priority.

One of the best ways to work out these kind of things is to user Chrome browser’s right click-inspect element command. This will show exeactly which css is being used fro every element.

Also anything added in theme options either in custom css or in accent color options overrides all.

Larry McMahon
    Participant

Hi,

It is important for me to be able to control css styles from the child theme. I would like to change the slider appearence to be a photo os a standard dimension with text on the right.

If it can be done in a simple way, I would like the slider to pause on mouseover.

Thanks for the Chrome tip.

Regards,
    Larry

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Image dimension are not handled by css in this case.

See preparing images in http://themeloom.com/support/framework-codex/post-pages-images-and-thumbnails/

and also the Pure user guide for image sizes.

Larry McMahon
    Participant

Hi,

If I use a consistent size for the featured images, then I hope I can control the relative location of the image, the link to the feature and the exerpt to obtain consistent sliders. But I have not tried this yet.

Regards,
    Larry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.