Home Forums Xi Theme Discussion & Support Banner size

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Richard 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant

Hello again,

I really do appreciate all of the assistance and I hope this is not inappropriate for me to post so frequently. If so, please let me know!

I am wondering what the optimal banner size if? I currently have someone designing one and I realised that the banner in the /headbg is 1904×396. Is the the design size that she be used?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

Well, the theme is repsonive. So the existing header, footer and page backgrounds are made to that they tile, so that when the screen changes size it all looks ok.

For the header, there are some wide banner-like backgrounds, but they are made so that they tile in the x direction and fade out in the y direction at the top. So that the theme scales.

Most of the supplied backgrounds are transparent to allow your chosen color to show through too. Even if you have a custom bg image, the bg color will still show outside the dimensions of the bg image, unless it is tiled.

So there is no perfect size. 1904 is huge though, I assume that is how big your desktop is. Lucky you!

The central page width maxes out at 1340px, but obviously the background scales to whatever the desktop is.

How big your image needs to be depends on what kind of image or pattern it is.

Richard
    Participant

Hmmm … do you have a suggested size for the person designing? I have let them know 1920×200 as that is the largest screen resolution @ the time. Thoughts?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

1. on smaller screens, whatever is in the header stacks up so then the header could be bigger than 200px. The best way is that the header fades out to transparent at the top or to the chosen bg color.

2. You don’t have to design for the biggest screens, they just get bigger anyway. Better is to have something smaller that can repeat in x direction or fades to transparent at either side.

3. Don’t make your header to busy, especially if you are using images in the slider. I’ve seen themes ruined by such things! There is enough in the header already with a logo and menus and search box.

Richard
    Participant

1. Do you have an optimum height/width px suggestion?

2. Okay, following 1., is there either a format/quality (i.e. png, jpg)that is best for a WP banner?

3. Got you!

themeweaver
    Keymaster

1. No because it depends what you put in it. The smallest bgs are 10px by 10px, to produce a simple small pattern.

2. If you want it transparent, like all bgs with theme it must be png. If you fade to a specific color then you can use jpg.

Richard
    Participant

2. PNG it is! To clarify, if one has a larger screen resolution – i.e. mine: 1920×1080 – and the banner is smaller than that, it will tile itself, rather than fill/stretch. If one has a banner designed to accommodate that size, it will compress to w/o distortion/tiling for smaller resolutions. Correct?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

it will never compress, but it will tile if you keep the css as the theme has it

Richard
    Participant

So a larger size makes sense so that those with larger resolutions will not see the tiling?

themeweaver
    Keymaster

It depends what your image is.

Richard
    Participant

Can you say more about why? Currently we are working on an image that is 1920×200. I am thinking we will scale it down to the header size you have as a default. Are there any pros/cons to a header @ 1904×396?

Richard
    Participant

Hi again,

Sorry if this feels resolved – can you confirm that this approach with a larger banner is okay?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.