Home Forums Pure Theme Discussion & Support Archive Page Title

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nick Truscott 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Roger Leitch

I am moving to using the sermon manager plug in for managing access to talks.

The only wrinkle I have is that a default title appears on the default sermons page / filtered views.

There is an option to define the title in the plug in settings page, but this is not getting through to the page. All I get displayed is “Blog Archives”.
    (Can be seen on scfchurch.co.uk/sermons/)

From the help here: http://www.wpforchurch.com/knowledgebase/getting-started-with-sermon-manager-for-wordpress/

◾Archive Page Title – If supported by your theme, this will display as the page title of your main sermon listing.
    ◾Archive Page Slug – By default, all sermons will be displayed at http://www.yourdomain.com/sermons/ (NOTE: This requires you to select anything other than the default permalinks in Settings → Permalinks). By entering a new slug, you can change the url to something different like: sermon-media, multimedia, etc.

Changing the Archive Page Slug Works but not the Archive Page Title.

Is there a way to get the theme to display this title?

Roger Leitch

Found where the title was coming from – archive.php in the theme.

Copied it to my child theme and added code from the plugin.

$sermon_settings = get_option('wpfc_options');
    $archive_title = $sermon_settings['archive_title'];
    $archive_title = 'Sermons';

Then in the original code changed from

<?php else : ?>
    <?php _e( 'Blog Archive' , 'livingos' ); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php else : ?>
    <?php _e( $archive_title , 'livingos' ); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

Which means it picks up the value from the sermon manager plug in.

It is a crude hack, as it should only show that title on archive pages with sermon posts.
    I think I will get away with it as I am not using the site for blogging.
    (Posts are being used for news items only).

I think the best option would be if the plug-in used its own archive page for sermon type posts (it has one).

Can you suggest a better way?
    or how to get the plug in own archive page to be used for that content type?

Sermon Manager is nor a great plugin when it comes to playing nice with themes. I have used it a few times but you have create theme specific template files, using the ones provided with the plugin as your start point.

You copy theme into your theme folder and then modify the page structure to match the theme you are using.

There are much more elegant ways this plugin could do it, but it doesn’t!

Roger Leitch

Thanks, you confirm what I suspected.

I will have a play with theme files.

They just released version 1.8 and livingos gets a mention. 🙂

Yes, I started to contribute some fixes/improvements when I get chance.

Nick Truscott

I used Sermon Manager for an archive project I inherited that was built around a customised 2010 theme I. I quickly switched the whole thing over to XI simply because it just DOES THINGS BETTER. It did need a lot of tweaking to look / play nice and Jack Lamb was very helpful (as were you Tim).

Great that you are contributing to Sermon Manager Tim – “iron sharpens iron”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.